How many times have you…
- Bought a car, got happy, then got sad when the first payment arrived?
- Stood in front of a closet full of clothes and said, “I don’t have a thing to wear?”
- Traded in a perfectly good phone because you saw the new model and just had to have it?
There is nothing wrong with having money. Stuff can be fun. Some of it is necessary and we should never feel guilty because God has blessed us. I believe that you should learn to enjoy everything that God provides for you. Every good gift comes from God.
If you have the wrong relationship with money and stuff, then you will have the wrong relationship with God. You can never be truly happy simply because you have a lot of money and the things it buys. Stuff can make you happy for a short time, but it can’t keep you happy.
Jesus talked about how happiness comes from a relationship with God, not having a lot of money. Luke, a physician who wrote the New Testament book of Acts, recorded one of the most radical things Jesus ever said about money and happiness. It was from a farewell speech the Apostle Paul gave to a group of church leaders. He quoted the words of Jesus when he said, “You should remember the words of the Lord Jesus: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’” (Acts 20:35) The Message paraphrase states it this way, “You’re far happier giving than getting.”
Jesus taught this incredible truth that changes the way you understand life, money, and happiness. Generous people are happy people! This kind of transcendent happiness is not dependent on circumstances. It comes from God when you when you live generously!
The word happy means “transcendent happiness” and “to be blessed.” The Bible teaches here that the act of giving creates good circumstances. How? Because God blesses you when you give! His supernatural power works for you.
Why does being generous make us happy?
- It makes us more like Christ.
- It removes greed and materialism.
- It paves the way for contentment.
- It focuses our attention on God and helps us realize that he owns it all, controls it all, and supplies our needs. That kind of attitude relieves stress and worry!
- It is an act of worship and we are happiest when we worship God.
- It creates a legacy that continues after we are gone.
- It helps you fulfill God’s mission for your life.
Generous people are happy people. God has created us this way. That is why it is normal for parents to enjoy giving to their children. It is why it feels so good to help people in need. It is how God uses you to make a difference in the world. God blesses generosity. I hope you will discover the joy of giving today!